Thanks for checking out the Leland High School Fishing Club website/blog. It is an important place to get details, post comments, and overall a way to communicate.

Friday, March 13, 2015

Springtime Fishing (Pre-Spawn and Spawn)


The guys from Tactical Bassin' have some great advice in the video above. Yet, for many bank walkers, it may not be best to use those techniques. So below are my Top 3 baits for spring!

Mr. T's Top 3 Springtime Baits

  1. Drop Shot - Whether you are fishing a bass locked on a spawning bed or you are targeting bass pushing schools of bait, the drop shot will get it done.
  2. Shad/Bluegill Reaction Bait - I can't just say jerkbait, swimbait, topwater, or crankbait. Instead, I think it is just important to have the best "reaction" bait for the conditions. My confidence baits are LuckyCraft pointers, Scroungers, and Norman Deep Little N's
  3. Neko Rig - The Neko rig is a way to rig a worm to make it dance across the bottom of a lake. It looks great in the water and flat out catches fish. Good for bed fishing and for catching fish on weedlines
Even though these are my top 3 baits right now, it doesn't really matter. My two biggest bass (seen below) were caught on a tube and a spider jig. These were great baits and I would also suggest them, yet I think a drop shot or texas rig could have also caught these fish. I think the lesson is... have your lines in the water during the springtime and you will see great results!
91/2 lb on a tube (March)
10 lb on Yamamoto Hula Grub (April)